For your information, here are some other sites you may find useful for your visit to Skye.
General Skye Information Sites
- Skye and Lochalsh Online – a what’s what of Skye and Lochalsh, showcasing accommodation, things to do, ancestry and more.
- Isle Of Skye – The Internet Guide to Scotland – an excellent, personal internet guide.
- Isle of Skye Guide – a guide to the Isle of Skye.
- Isle of Skye Directory – a links site of Skye businesses you may like to visit whilst visiting Skye.
- Love to Escape – find holiday accommodation wherever you.
- Highland Council – including an A-Z of online council services
- Visit Scotland– covering the entirety of the highlands of Scotland with a full section on Skye and Lochalsh.
- John Muir Trust – the Trust owns a large portion of Skye including the Red Cuillin and Bla Bheinn mountains.
Food and Drink
- Cuillin Brewery – micro-brewery established at Sligachan in 2004.
- Isle of Skye Brewery – Skye’s famous brewery, based in Uig.
- Kinloch Lodge Hotel – award winning food from Claire Macdonald, renowned for her cookery books and demonstrations.
- The Old Inn, Carbost – just 10 minutes walk from the Old School House, near the Talisker distillery.
- Sligachan Hotel – just 15 minutes walk from Allt Dearg, and 8 miles from the Old School house. Now also has it’s own micro-brewery. PLEASE NOTE THE HOTEL IS NOW CLOSED OVER THE WINTER (roughly Nov – end Feb).
- Taste Local – Taste Skye – where to get and sample some divine local produce from Skye.
- Taigh Ailean – guest house 4 miles from the Old School House, 12 miles from Allt Dearg.
- The Three Chimneys Restaurant – Skye’s best known restaurant, with stacks of awards.
General Tourist Attractions
- Armadale Castle Gardens and Museum to the Isles
- Bella Jane Coruisk Boat Trips – reach the heart of the Cuillin – perfect for the less energetic!
- Dunvegan Castle
- Isle of Skye Golf Club – 9 hole course at Sconser.
- Sea Probe Atlantis – glass bottomed boat trips from Kyle of Lochalsh.
- Skye Museum of Island Life (Kilmuir) – an insight into the old crofting lifestyle.
- Skye Serpentarium – Skye’s award winning reptile exhibition and breeding centre.
- www.gotostkilda.co.uk– New in 2013. Day trips from Uig in the north of the island.
Whether you are a first timer who wants to experience the uniqueness of the Cuillin, need a helping hand up the Inaccessible Pinnacle, or want to tackle the greatest mountaineering expedition in Britain – the Cuillin Ridge – these local Skye guides have all the know how. But I don’t think even they will guarantee the weather! All offer a selection of summer and winter courses, either in small groups or individually.
- Hebridean Pathways – Darren McAulay.
- Skye Guides Mountaineering – Mike Lates.
- White Wave – Outdoor Centre based in Uig.
- West Coast Mountain Guides – Alan Kimber – Fort William based guide offering mountaineering courses in Skye.
- Cioch Direct – Skye’s own outdoor leisurewear manufacturer.
- Mountain Bothies Association – (MBA) – maintain bothies and shelters in wild places across the UK.
- Mountaineering Council of Scotland – mountain weather reports, safety advice and information on local groups and access restrictions.
- Mountain Rescue Scotland
- North West Frontiers – offers an extensive programme of walking holidays in Skye and throughout the Scottish Highlands and Islands.
- Sport Scotland Avalanche Information Service
Music, Arts and Craft
- Edinbane Pottery – there’s some great pottery here – well worth a visit!
- Loch Harport Gallery, Portnalong
- Orbost Gallery
- Skye Silver – beautiful silver celtic jewellery. Complete with on-line shop.
- White Wave Music – Skye’s Anne Martin sings beautiful gaelic songs!
- Skye Birds – a birding guide to the island of Skye.
- Highland Council Ranger Service
- Skye Flora – Carl Farmer, a Skye naturalist, has produced this guide to Skye flora.
- Skye Ferns – A site dedicated to the ferns of Skye
- Scottish Wildlife Trust – The Scottish Wildlife Trust has a local member’s group on Skye – events are normally listed on the main SWT website.
- Caledonian MacBrayne – ferries around the West coast of Scotland (including Mallaig to Armadale).
- Rapson’s Coaches – provide local bus services on Skye and around the highlands.
- Scottish Citylink Coaches – main Scotland-wide bus operator.
- Skye Car Hire – Car hire and taxi service.
- Skye Ferry – Glenelg to Kylerhea – please support and use this fantastic little ferry from the mainland instead of the infamous bridge!! (the future of this service is currently uncertain.)
- The Mountain Weather Information Service – forecasts tailored specifically for walkers and climbers.